1 funnel-shaped receptacle; contents pass by gravity into a receptacle below
2 someone who hops; "at hopscotch, the best hoppers are the children"
3 a machine used for picking hops [syn: hop-picker]
4 terrestrial plant-eating insect with hind legs adapted for leaping [syn: grasshopper]
- Rhymes with: -ɒpə(r)
- a temporary storage bin, filled from the top and emptied from the bottom, often funnel-shaped.
- one who hops
- In the context of "localism|or|slang": a toilet's water
- She got off the hopper just as the phone rang.
- an artificial fishing lure
- To catch a big fish, use a hopper that jumps across the pond surface.
Hopper may refer to:
- A general term for a chute with additional width and depth to provide a volume for temporary storage of material(s). The bottom of the hopper chute typically has a mechanism to control the flow of materials, thus allowing them to be metered out at the desired rate.
- Part of a combine harvester
- Part of a paintball gun
People with the surname Hopper
- Andy Hopper (1953—), British computer scientist
- Dennis Hopper (1936—), American actor
- DeWolf Hopper (1858–1935), American actor, singer, comedian and producer
- Edward Hopper (1882–1967), American painter and printmaker
- Grace Hopper (1906–1992), American computer scientist and naval officer
- Heather Hopper (1976—), American actress
- Hedda Hopper (1885–1966), American actress and gossip columnist
- Hugh Hopper (1945—) English guitarist and composer
- Isaac Hopper (1771–1852), American abolitionist and underground railroad pioneer
- Josephine Hopper (1883–1968), American artist and wife of Edward Hopper
- Kev Hopper (1961—), Musician
- Paul Hopper, American linguist of British birth
- Shirley Ximena Hopper Russell (1886–1985), American artist best known for Hawaiian themes
- Thomas Hopper (1776–1856), English architect
- Wilbert Hopper (1933–2006), Canadian business executive
- William Hopper (1915–1970), American actor
hopper in German: Hopper
hopper in Spanish: Hopper
hopper in French: Hopper
hopper in Japanese: ホッパー
hopper in Russian: Хоппер
broad jumper, bucking bronco, buckjumper, cicada, cicala, cricket, dog-day cicada, flea, frog, gazelle, goat, grasshopper, high jumper, hoppergrass, hurdle racer, hurdler, jackrabbit, jumper, jumping bean, jumping jack, kangaroo, leaper, locust, pole vaulter, salmon, stag, sunfisher, timber topper, vaulter